Early Denver compound contact scanner produced by the Joseph Holmes, William Wright and Ralph Meyerdirk team. This has a similar design to the one in Glasgow built by Brown and Donald. Howry was at an exhibition in London in 1959 and met up with Brown and Donald to look at their automatic compound contact scanner.
The transducer carriage moved horizontally across the abdomen while the transducer moved mechanically 30 degrees to each side of the perpendicular. 3 potentiometers track the position of the axis of the ultrasonic beam. This design soon give way to a modified design - the articulated-arm compound contact mechanism with wires and position transducing potentiometers fabricated on a segmented arm resembling that of a pantograph arm used in mechanical drafting.
The apparatus and the usuage of ultrasound scanning were reported in the May 22 issue of the TIME Magazine in 1964.
Images reproduced with permission from Mr. Gerald Posakony.
Back to History of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology.